Monday 11 November 2013

Reflections on Term I

Wow! Time flies; it has been about two months since the start of Science Academy, and it seems like just yesterday I was filling out my application. It has definitely not been easy, yet I can feel myself getting into the rhythm of things slowly.  

Over the course of my school career, I have noticed that first term is always the hardest, and my marks reflect that. It can sometimes be challenging to get back into a schedule, and not have as much free time as one would during the summer months. September is the start of everything- school, piano lessons, after school sports, and the like. All of this work piled on at once can be quite overwhelming until you get back into the routine. Balancing my work with extracurriculars has for sure been my biggest struggle so far. However, I feel that being in Science Academy has helped me better develop time management skills already. Adjusting to a substantially larger workload is mandatory in preparation for post-secondary; you either face the hardships now or later (now is better).

 In addition, technology is now becoming an everyday tool in our lives, and there is no way to avoid it. It is often a source of distraction, but it doesn't have to be. To elaborate, one must learn when is the appropriate time to incorporate technology, and when it shouldn't be used. Technology can be a huge barrier in time management, because it is quite easy to get sidetracked. You go online to search up the meaning of a word, and find yourself on the 'Best Vines' Facebook page three hours later. Science Academy has guided me in the sense of learning how to use technology to our advantage, and how to incorporate it into our learning. In return, this is has helped me become wiser with my time.

Overall the most important thing I have learned this term is time management, and Michael Altshuler sums it up quite nicely, "The bad news is time flies. The good new is you're the pilot."

No comments:

Post a Comment