Sunday 10 November 2013

Integrated Math and Science Academy? What's That?

When I first heard about the Integrated Math and Science Academy (Science Academy/SA for short), I was quite thrilled. See, science has always been a great passion of mine, and my school had just given me the opportunity to pursue it.

So, what is Science Academy? Basically, it's a two-year program in which students will be able to take "textbook science" and apply it into real world situations. In addition, in our senior year we will be able to enroll in University chemistry courses while still in high school- pretty cool, huh? Visit the Science Academy website for a full description of the program. 

Many may be wondering, why dedicate half of your school day and earn marks that may not be as high as in regular science/math classes? Well, as a self-proclaimed nerd, what I'm going to say may be a bit controversial, but, marks aren't everything. Now, don't get me wrong, academic excellence is quite important for university entrance and whatnot, but what really matters is how much you have actually learned. If you focus on learning instead of trying to gain marks, your marks will do all the gaining itself. Marks can help you get into university, but what can help you succeed in it? This is where Science Academy comes in; SA helps us change our approach on learning in order to make us more effective learners. Furthermore, since it is an accelerated program, we are given the opportunity to learn material that is above our grade level, in preparation to excel in our post-secondary education. In the end, all of these aspects are what helped me realize that this was the right path for me.

I hope you now have a better insight on what the Science Academy is, and I welcome you all to join me as I blog about my journey through Science Academy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment